Promotions | Best of the Coast | Find a paper | About | Advertise with us | Contact
NEWS/ARTS | Vol. 22, No. 5, April 15, 2010
(Green Matters '10)

E-mail this to a friend

Who's Got Green?


Featured Advertiser Directory

Here are just a few of our local businesses and organizations in various fields that are incorporating green practices and products to support a sustainable, healthy environment.

Bay Design Associates Architects
720 Bayfront Parkway, Suite 200, 432-0706, baydesign.com

Bay Design recently completed the Gulf Power District Operation Center, one of just a few LEED certified buildings in our area, and is now working on a building for Escambia County that will contain a pervious paving system that will filter rain water and a green roof with benches and plants. Kelly Wieczorek, the Director of Sustainable Design at Bay Design, is also the president of the Northern Gulf Coast chapter of the U.S. Green Building Council, a non-profit dedicated to sustainable building design and construction.

Emerald Coastkeeper
429-8422, emeraldcoastkeeper.org

Emerald Coastkeeper (ECK) is committed to protecting our local waterways. It believes in bringing polluters large and small to justice and investigates reports of pollution. The group also hosts several outings throughout the year, organizes clean-ups of area waterways and beaches, hosts an annual fundraising Gala and presents lectures to the public on issues concerning our specific ecosystems and the policies involved. ECK is a proud chapter of the Waterkeeper Alliance, a not for profit environmental organization.

Energy Services of Pensacola
435-1800, espnaturalgas.com

ESP natural gas is green power...naturally. Natural gas is the clean, efficient energy choice for reducing harmful environmental impacts. A highly efficient energy source, 91 percent of the energy produced by natural gas reaches your home. Compare that to electricity, which uses 72 percent of its original energy in conversion and transmission, leaving a scant 28 percent to be used in your home.

Ever'man Natural Foods
315 W. Garden St., 438-0402, everman.org

All produce available at Ever'man is grown without pesticides, herbicides or fertilizers whenever possible, including fruits, vegetables, herbs and specialty items. The store also features a dairy section dedicated to hormone-free, organic milk, yogurt, cheese, eggs and milk alternative products. Among Ever'man's additional green products: environmentally friendly household items and cleaning supplies; free range meat and poultry; bulk goods, which results in less packaging; and organic and sulfite-free wine and beer.

PR Chemical & Paper Supply
3435 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, 432-0432, pr-supply.com

PR offers an array of earth-friendly products such as those with the Triple-S EarthCare seal, which indicates that a product meets "green" standards from a recognized organization (such as Green Seal or the EPA) or the product offers significant features that contribute to the preservation and sustainability of a healthy environment. PR has an in-house Green Cleaning Specialist certified by LEED members at Spartan Chemical Company to help you become a greener cleaner. To learn more, contact Green Cleaning Specialist Crystal Welch online or call 432-0432.